Subscribe on Facebook

Monday, July 4, 2011

Confession : I Hit and Ran

Ok. I know people do this all the time, but I'm really having pangs of conscience about this. Some of you may laugh because  I'm probably freaking out over something most people would just shrug off. Anyway, yesterday on a lazy Sunday I was just coming back from the restaurant where I usually have my dinner .As a prelude I must tell you I  have been driving for 10 years now and  I have no accident thank god for that.  So I just took that turn towards the road which leads to my Place , The road is usually dark as the state government does not actually care about street lightning but I guess now we are used to driving in dark roads. I was at a speed of around 50 kmph , the road is quite bumpy but I was in a rush to catch my favorite tele show and so I did not bother to slow down. And suddenly my mobile phone rang , I usually don’t bother to stop or slow down to attend the call but I attend it with my one hand and with one hand I can drive quite well and I am kind of proud of that , most people do that in India and talk about traffic sense at Delhi NCR .As soon as I took the phone out of my shirt pocket and WHAM….. Something just hit me or maybe I hit something and I was sure , I ran over it . I stopped after 50 meters to see what had happened , It was dark but I guess I could still see what has happened. There wasn't any damage or a dent, but there was something laying on the road.  I was already late for the television show and though I'm usually quite level-headed, I sort of panicked. I tried to see what was it and was shocked to see the blood on the road , she might be 2 years old ,I was cursing her for crossing the road alone in this dark night and that too she had to come in front of me , I quietly had a look around and got to know no one was watching .I thought of going towards it and picking it but was afraid that the blood might give me stains. First time involved in something like this and sort of freaked, walked back out and drove off. Now, I'm having major pangs of conscience. I don't know how to overcome this. And though it is not likely at all, I can't help but have this odd worry that someone saw me or some camera caught me and that someone will track me down. If so, what should I do?. Perhaps I feel horrible because I consider myself a pretty honest person.  So what should I do? And should I worry? Yes I murdered a squirrel. It could have been anyone. People don’t mix mobile with driving. 

33 comments:

  1. Nice one!!! Simple way to give a beautiful message :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one indeed !
    Keep penning !

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice message conveyed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most bullshit way to confess abt using mobile while driving.. this sense shd be frm the time u drive and not after killing a squirrel tht u realize.. Its like stabing smeone with knife and then saying.. oh.. i didnt knew that wud pierce.. -u know who i am

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kedar Pingle
    Why hide your identity in critisizing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cause i dont have time to create a profile here.. Kedar Pingle

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rahul Migalani U care for only positive response...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kedar
    thats ur perception dude

    ReplyDelete
  10. //So what should I do? And should I worry?

    Pls regsiter a case in the nearest Police station and ask them to file FIR!! :P hehe

    Nice post dude..I know even if its a small creature, our conscience kills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow !! One needs to be a very sensitive person to address issues like this
    What amazes me is this writer whom I know is actually not the person i know
    Yes that's right I have discovered the hidden side of miglani
    Dude Let this passion of urs scale new heights bcoz like many sensible people i too beileve that pen is mightier than the sword

    ReplyDelete
  12. @giriraj
    Thanks a lot for your comments , i really appreciate !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it was just another destiny for both of you but definitely was not in your desired list.Things happen , no wonder we may got the same destiny.. in one way or the other.
    Little creature felt the pain and so did
    you.
    In future take care buddy

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Cb
    ya thanks , i must/shud/will take care

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmm....dt is how our conscience works...pretty freaky though...hope u learned ur valuable lesson although dat li'l creature had to die for that :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Duh! you killed a squirrel?! How sad?!
    SO for the actual thing...
    How did it taste later?! Does it actually taste better with salt and pepper?
    Move on buddy... enough with this engendering weeps. Meat is to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. :)))),good in fact very good written....
    and u r giving a good msg tooo.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. @induravisinghj
    Thanks , Thats encourages me a lot !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. well i think ...so long as no really big harm done...jab jaage tab savera...(`wrt the coment thread of P and Rahul)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jeese I almost called the police :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. @musings
    hehe yeah correct !!!
    jab jago tabhi savera

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very well written, you had me building up anger as I was reading the post, and then once the tension eased, I was wondering how we feel so much better that it was not a young girl. I think this "feeling relieved" might be a common reaction of many readers or maybe not. Interesting insight into my self. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Subhorup Dasgupta
    Thanks for the feedback !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yup, the first lesson we're taught always is to run if you hit someone. You never know what public might do. People lose their cool and might hurt.

    Well, whats happened can't be changed now, but if we hurt someone and they dont have help, it is our moral responsibility to ensure they're alright. Probably a lesson for the next time.

    And you've also learned that driving wid mobile is dangerous!!!!

    http://styledestino.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete